* ERIS over NNCP
@ 2023-12-29  6:12 Endo Renberg
From: Endo Renberg @ 2023-12-29  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

Hello,

This is an announcement of a feature recently stabilized and documented in
the ERIS Go implementation.

ERIS is a standard for content-addressed data that offers some
confidentiality
for data at rest and deniability for intermediary storage providers. The
standard is described in detail here: https://eris.codeberg.page/

The eris-go implementation now supports serializing blocks to a file during
the encoding of data as well as copying blocks out of serialization into
fast, random-access storage. These two features are intended for sneakernet
transfers but have been implemented and tested specifically for
compatibility
with NNCP.

The eris-go man page includes an example script of how a the content of a
file
can be ERIS encoded and transmitted via NNCP.

https://codeberg.org/eris/eris-go/src/branch/trunk/eris-go.1.md#offline-transfers

In eris-go utility is optimized for use in scripts, which makes it awkward
use at first but hopefully easy to integrate in custom storage workflows.

An example usecase is encoding large files to local ephemeral ERIS storage
while simultaneously queuing a backup to a remote system.

Another usecase would be a dead drop where data is delivered first and
later
revealed by transferring the ERIS read-capability via NNCP or out-of-band.

Retrieving blocks asynchronously via NNCP has not been implemented, but
there
are a few ideas on how this can be done. Details will be announced here as
they are realized.

If anyone has questions or would like help, write to me and we can sort it
out. Patches accepted as well.

Best wishes for 2024,
E.

* Re: ERIS over NNCP
@ 2024-01-05  6:12 ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2024-01-05  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Endo Renberg; +Cc: nncp-devel

Hi Endo,

Thanks for this post!  I'm intrigued.

I did some poking around the ERIS website and I'm wondering if you could
share examples of projects that are using it, or thoughts on what
situations it is ideal for?  It sounds very interesting, but I can't
quite articulate why just yet :-)

- John

On Fri, Dec 29 2023, Endo Renberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is an announcement of a feature recently stabilized and documented in
> the ERIS Go implementation.
>
> ERIS is a standard for content-addressed data that offers some confidentiality
> for data at rest and deniability for intermediary storage providers. The
> standard is described in detail here: https://eris.codeberg.page/
>
> The eris-go implementation now supports serializing blocks to a file during
> the encoding of data as well as copying blocks out of serialization into fast,
> random-access storage. These two features are intended for sneakernet
> transfers but have been implemented and tested specifically for compatibility
> with NNCP.
>
> The eris-go man page includes an example script of how a the content of a file
> can be ERIS encoded and transmitted via NNCP.
>
> https://codeberg.org/eris/eris-go/src/branch/trunk/eris-go.1.md#offline-transfers
>
> In eris-go utility is optimized for use in scripts, which makes it awkward to
> use at first but hopefully easy to integrate in custom storage workflows.
>
> An example usecase is encoding large files to local ephemeral ERIS storage
> while simultaneously queuing a backup to a remote system.
>
> Another usecase would be a dead drop where data is delivered first and later
> revealed by transferring the ERIS read-capability via NNCP or out-of-band.
>
> Retrieving blocks asynchronously via NNCP has not been implemented, but there
> are a few ideas on how this can be done. Details will be announced here as
> they are realized.
>
> If anyone has questions or would like help, write to me and we can sort it
> out. Patches accepted as well.
>

> Best wishes for 2024,
> E.

* Re: ERIS over NNCP
@ 2024-01-07 10:40   ` Endo Renberg
From: Endo Renberg @ 2024-01-07 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Goerzen; +Cc: Endo Renberg, nncp-devel

Hi John,

ERIS is vague and open-ended, but that is how we like it. One use case is
for exchanging data in so called "social media" where some content is
public and needs to be readily cachable to mitigate censorship, and where
other data is private but still needs to be held and exchanged by
intermediary hosts. The Spritely project has plans and some prototypes for
this kind of scenario.

https://spritelyproject.org/

Something that makes ERIS conceptually difficult to handle is that it is
more relateable to the capability-based security than it is the common
file-system paradigm. ERIS data is accessed by what we call "read
capabilities" rather than traversing a mutable hierarchy of directories and
files or domains and pages.

Making data available without relying on a file-system namespace makes it
possible to build applications with a security model that makes access to
data an opt-in process rather than elective attenuation of access during
deployment.

Experiments have been made to integrate ERIS with the Guix and Nix package
managers, as these have functional models that where data is implicitly
immutable. The alternative to the functional package manager is of course
is solutions like Snap or Flatpak, which I don't think have a coherent
vision of how to mediate between debious applications and a mutable global
filesystem namespace.

Another use case for ERIS is for holding semantic data where data semantics
are independent from storage location. An example of a project that
combines RDF and ERIS would be openEngiadia.

https://openengiadina.net/

ERIS would also be easier to understand if it came with a global network
for exchanging data, like BitTorrent. What puts ERIS in strong contrast to
IPFS is that ERIS wants to avoid this, and ERIS protocol development
happens with an intention of keeping the core concepts of ERIS independent
from the medium through which ERIS blocks are exchanged.

I hope that clarifies somewhat,
E.