* NNCP Services
@ 2021-10-09  0:48 Koushik Roy
From: Koushik Roy @ 2021-10-09  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

Hey,

I've been playing around with NNCP and really love what I'm finding so
far. I've built a whole bunch of stuff on NNCP so far, including
a youtube-dl based video downloader and a Telegram bot that lets me
send/receive messages through NNCP. (The latter bot was something I
cooked up for use on a trip where I was going to have low connectivity
and it worked really well.) I also use NNCP as a way to access services
and commands on my LAN at home, which I expose through a relay node with
an external static IPv4 IP. I was wondering if others had built any
services on NNCP and if so what other folks been doing and what patterns
they've been using?

So far I've settled on a pattern of having `nncp-exec` commands actually
push a new line onto a FIFO. I have a daemon that reads from this FIFO
and uses it to actually perform work. This seems to not incur any
head-of-line blocking with NNCP. In the case of my youtube-dl downloader
this makes sense as a large media file may actually be a very large
download and take a while to finish. I plan on playing around with email next.

I've also encountered a few crashes which I noted down in a file I saved
in /tmp ... and yeah now I don't have it anymore. I'll see if I can
capture those crashes again so I can post this on the list. Anyway
that's all and sorry for getting a bit stream-of-consciousness.

Thanks,
Koushik

* Re: NNCP Services
@ 2021-10-10  4:03 ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2021-10-10  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koushik Roy; +Cc: nncp-devel

On Fri, Oct 08 2021, Koushik Roy wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I've been playing around with NNCP and really love what I'm
> finding so
> far. I've built a whole bunch of stuff on NNCP so far, including
> a youtube-dl based video downloader and a Telegram bot that lets
> me
> send/receive messages through NNCP. (The latter bot was
> something I
> cooked up for use on a trip where I was going to have low
> connectivity
> and it worked really well.) I also use NNCP as a way to access
> services

That is a really neat idea!  Do you happen to have the source code
for that available somewhere that the rest of us might try it out
too?

> and commands on my LAN at home, which I expose through a relay
> node with
> an external static IPv4 IP. I was wondering if others had built
> any
> services on NNCP and if so what other folks been doing and what
> patterns
> they've been using?

I've built an apt-offline processor, which is used to install or
upgrade Debian/ubuntu systems.

On the Internet-connected box, I have an exec:

        apt-offline: ["/usr/local/bin/apt-offline-proc"]

The script can just run apt-offline get $INPUTFILE --bundle
$OUTPUTFILE
then use nncp-file to send the OUTPUTFILE to $NNCP_SENDER

I also have scripts for receiving zfs or dar backups, and for
distributed syncing of git repos.  See
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/tag/nncp for details.

I also run Usenet over NNCP, and offer NNCP Usenet feeds to
interested people.

> capture those crashes again so I can post this on the list.
> Anyway
> that's all and sorry for getting a bit stream-of-consciousness.

It's all good, and welcome.

- John

* Re: NNCP Services
@ 2021-10-11  4:59   ` Koushik Roy
From: Koushik Roy @ 2021-10-11  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Goerzen; +Cc: nncp-devel

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete•org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 08 2021, Koushik Roy wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I've been playing around with NNCP and really love what I'm
>> finding so
>> far. I've built a whole bunch of stuff on NNCP so far, including
>> a youtube-dl based video downloader and a Telegram bot that lets
>> me
>> send/receive messages through NNCP. (The latter bot was
>> something I
>> cooked up for use on a trip where I was going to have low
>> connectivity
>> and it worked really well.) I also use NNCP as a way to access
>> services
>
> That is a really neat idea!  Do you happen to have the source code
> for that available somewhere that the rest of us might try it out
> too?

I just put some of the code on my Github. It's pretty raw, but should be
enough to get started with. I have the code for the send and receive
sides of the Telegram bot and the Youtube-dl downloader.

Youtube-dl Bot: https://github.com/Koshroy/yt-nncp
Telegram Receipt Relay Bot: https://github.com/Koshroy/telegram-nncp-bot
Telegram Send Relay Bot: https://github.com/Koshroy/telegram-send-bot

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

I have plans to convert the Telegram bot into a bot that uses an MDA to
actually relay received Telegram messages as mail, and then have a fake
MTA which parses incoming mail as messages to send out to Telegram. I'm
also planning on porting all of this to use the Matrix network as well,
but I have more friends/family on Telegram right now so that's what I'm
more interested in connecting first. I'm not super familiar with how
E-Mail works underneath so it's a bit of a learning experience for me.

>> and commands on my LAN at home, which I expose through a relay
>> node with
>> an external static IPv4 IP. I was wondering if others had built
>> any
>> services on NNCP and if so what other folks been doing and what
>> patterns
>> they've been using?
>
> I've built an apt-offline processor, which is used to install or
> upgrade Debian/ubuntu systems.
>
> On the Internet-connected box, I have an exec:
>
>         apt-offline: ["/usr/local/bin/apt-offline-proc"]
>
> The script can just run apt-offline get $INPUTFILE --bundle
> $OUTPUTFILE
> then use nncp-file to send the OUTPUTFILE to $NNCP_SENDER

Oh isn't this a bit dangerous? I've never used a flow like this so I'm
not sure, but isn't it a bit scary to apply package/system updates
completely unattended like this?

> I also have scripts for receiving zfs or dar backups, and for
> distributed syncing of git repos.  See
> https://changelog.complete.org/archives/tag/nncp for details.
>
> I also run Usenet over NNCP, and offer NNCP Usenet feeds to
> interested people.

Oh, I might be interested in an NNCP Usenet feed!

Also, is there any group of folks exchanging mail over NNCP? I realize
that with this mailing list there might not be much of a need, but it
would be cool to exchange mail over NNCP! I've been wiring up a local
Postfix MTA to NNCP for use between machines of mine.

Thanks,
Koushik

* Re: NNCP Services
@ 2021-10-11  7:55 ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2021-10-11  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

Greetings!

*** Koushik Roy [2021-10-08 17:48]:
>I was wondering if others had built any
>services on NNCP and if so what other folks been doing and what patterns
>they've been using?

Personally I used to use nearly everything listed in
http://www.nncpgo.org/Integration.html
but currently none of them. Just because now I even do not have a laptop
and my workflow requires less "async" jobs to do.

--
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: NNCP Services