From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete•org>
To: tidux@sdf•org
Cc: nncp-devel@lists.cypherpunks.ru
Subject: Re: NNCP proxy for Internet mail providers?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 21:39:39 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 26 2021, John Goerzen wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26 2021, tidux@sdf•org wrote:
>
>> Would anyone be interested in a daemon or set of daemons that
>> sat
>> between a "normal" IMAP4+SMTP-submission remote access mail
>> host and a
>> local sendmail/nncp/postfix setup?  I figure this use case is
>> what's
>
> That's a nice idea!
>
> So the idea is you have some Internet host -- maybe a cheap VPS
> or something --
> that can download mail from the real provider, then gate it to
> NNCP?
>
> I suspect you could make this work pretty easily with fetchmail
> (particularly
> with the --bsmtp command, for instance).  My Exim example at
> http://www.nncpgo.org/Exim.html illustrates using bsmtp over
> NNCP.  It could use
> --mda instead also.

You know, as the guy that wrote OfflineIMAP....

What would be REALLY cool would be a way to do an
OfflineIMAP-style synchronization over NNCP.  That is, notice that
certain changes have occurred on the local end, transmit commands
via NNCP to cause those changes to occur on the IMAP server, and
vice-versa.  As far as I know, there is nothing out there that can
do that right now.  The closest you might come would be to use
OfflineIMAP on a system with Internet connectivity, and then
something like Syncthing to share a Maildir tree in an async
fashion.  However, I'm not really sure how reliable that would be.
It is entirely possible it would have significant drawbacks.

Syncthing and NNCP are interesting partners.  I wrote about a few
of the possibilities at
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10219-a-simple-delay-tolerant-offline-capable-mesh-network-with-syncthing-optional-nncp

- John