* [EN] NNCP 7.7.0 release announcement
@ 2021-09-11 10:29 Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2021-09-11 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

I am pleased to announce NNCP 7.7.0 release availability!

NNCP (Node to Node copy) is a collection of utilities simplifying
secure store-and-forward files and mail exchanging.

This utilities are intended to help build up small size (dozens of
nodes) ad-hoc friend-to-friend (F2F) statically routed darknet
delay-tolerant networks for fire-and-forget secure reliable files, file
requests, Internet mail and commands transmission. All packets are
integrity checked, end-to-end encrypted (E2EE), explicitly authenticated
by known participants public keys. Onion encryption is applied to
relayed packets. Each node acts both as a client and server, can use
push and poll behaviour model. Also there is multicasting areas support.

Out-of-box offline sneakernet/floppynet, dead drops, sequential and
append-only CD-ROM/tape storages, air-gapped computers support. But
online TCP daemon with full-duplex resumable data transmission exists.

------------------------ >8 ------------------------

The main improvements for that release are:

* Experimental "kqueue" and "inotify" based notifications support
  about spool directory changes, for reducing their often reading
  overhead.

* ".seen" and ".hdr" files moved to "seen/" and "hdr/"
  subdirectories, for faster scanning of spool directories.  Current
  files migration required:

       $ find $NNCPSPOOL -type f -name "*.hdr" -exec rm {} +

       $ find $NNCPSPOOL -type d -name rx | while read rx ; do
           cd $rx
           mkdir -p seen
           find . -type f -name "*.seen" | while read fn ; do
               mv $fn seen/${fn%.seen}
           done
       done

       $ find $NNCPSPOOL -type d -name area | while read area ; do
           find $area -type f -name "*.seen" | while read fn ; do
               mv $fn ${fn%.seen}
           done
       done

------------------------ >8 ------------------------

NNCP's home page is: http://www.nncpgo.org/

Source code and its signature for that version can be found here:

    http://www.nncpgo.org/download/nncp-7.7.0.tar.xz (1180 KiB)
    http://www.nncpgo.org/download/nncp-7.7.0.tar.xz.sig

SHA256 hash: A692A2FC 963CB0A4 5BFD5B7F 497A26D0 BD738630 4F9FA3CD 526DC69F CA3929EE
GPG key ID: 0x2B25868E75A1A953 NNCP releases <releases@nncpgo•org>
Fingerprint: 92C2 F0AE FE73 208E 46BF  F3DE 2B25 868E 75A1 A953

There are mirrors where you can also get the source code tarballs:
http://www.nncpgo.org/Mirrors.html

Please send questions regarding the use of NNCP, bug reports and patches
to mailing list: http://lists.cypherpunks.ru/nncp_002ddevel.html

--
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [EN] NNCP 7.7.0 release announcement
@ 2021-09-11 21:13 ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2021-09-11 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

On Sat, Sep 11 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> * Experimental "kqueue" and "inotify" based notifications
> support
>   about spool directory changes, for reducing their often
>   reading
>   overhead.

Hi Sergey!

Thank you for this release.

Unfortunately, so far on Linux, I'm not seeing any change in the
pattern for nncp-call(er) while connected.  I'm happy to debug
this if I can be of help.

- John

* Re: [EN] NNCP 7.7.0 release announcement
@ 2021-09-11 21:28   ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2021-09-11 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

Greetings!

*** John Goerzen [2021-09-11 16:13]:
>Unfortunately, so far on Linux, I'm not seeing any change in the pattern for
>nncp-call(er) while connected.  I'm happy to debug this if I can be of help.

I did not notice CPU usage drop too on my FreeBSD system. However it
should not list directory all the time -- so should be better on spools
with huge number of files. I just use fsnotify library -- all kqueue (or
inotify) work is done in it.

--

@ 2021-09-11 22:01     ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2021-09-11 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Matveev; +Cc: nncp-devel

On Sat, Sep 11 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> *** John Goerzen [2021-09-11 16:13]:
>>Unfortunately, so far on Linux, I'm not seeing any change in the
>>pattern for
>>nncp-call(er) while connected.  I'm happy to debug this if I can
>>be of help.
>
> I did not notice CPU usage drop too on my FreeBSD system.
> However it
> should not list directory all the time -- so should be better on
> spools
> with huge number of files. I just use fsnotify library -- all
> kqueue (or
> inotify) work is done in it.

Hi Sergey,

OK, yes, you are right.  I'm not seeing those scans in my straces
anymore.  Nice!

I am still seeing a lot of nanosleep(), futex(), and
reading/writing down a pipe.  I'm not sure if this is something to
do with Go's channels or something?  (Just a guess)

- John