* [nncp-devel] crash in nncp-toss from mail packet
@ 2017-01-15  1:44 Shawn K. Quinn
From: Shawn K. Quinn @ 2017-01-15  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

This is from feeding nncp-mail a short test message from the command
line by hand, on the system tossing them. Even if I'm doing it wrong,
this really shouldn't happen. Worse, this crash will keep happening on
any later run of nncp-toss (on the receiving system) until the packet is
manually deleted.

panic: runtime error: slice bounds out of range

goroutine 1 [running]:
panic(0x68ec00, 0xc82000a070)
	/usr/lib/go-1.6/src/runtime/panic.go:481 +0x3e6
cypherpunks.ru/nncp.(*Ctx).Toss(0xc820058550, 0xc82000f820,
0xc8200900ff, 0xc820058500)
	/home/skquinn/usr/src/nncp-0.1/src/cypherpunks.ru/nncp/toss.go:140 +0x3e82
main.main()

	/home/skquinn/usr/src/nncp-0.1/src/cypherpunks.ru/nncp/cmd/nncp-toss/main.go:89 +0xc47

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn@rushpost•com>
http://www.rantroulette.com

* Re: [nncp-devel] crash in nncp-toss from mail packet
@ 2017-01-15  8:02 ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2017-01-15  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

*** Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn@rushpost•com> [2017-01-15 04:46]:
>This is from feeding nncp-mail a short test message from the command
>line by hand, on the system tossing them. Even if I'm doing it wrong,
>this really shouldn't happen.

Fully agreed that those kind of errors must not occur at all. Fixed in
https://git.cypherpunks.ru/cgit.cgi/nncp.git/commit/?h=develop&id=8cfca6f25358b2ce75abd2b410e28e5b5008413b
it is because "sendmail" configuration field is not set for the node.
No it will skip this packet with warning message about unconfigured
sendmail.

Thanks for bugreporting!

I think that will release the next version of NNCP today.

--
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [nncp-devel] crash in nncp-toss from mail packet
@ 2017-01-15 10:23   ` Shawn K. Quinn
From: Shawn K. Quinn @ 2017-01-15 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

On 01/15/2017 02:02 AM, Sergey Matveev wrote:
> *** Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn@rushpost•com> [2017-01-15 04:46]:
>> This is from feeding nncp-mail a short test message from the command
>> line by hand, on the system tossing them. Even if I'm doing it wrong,
>> this really shouldn't happen.
>
> Fully agreed that those kind of errors must not occur at all. Fixed in
> https://git.cypherpunks.ru/cgit.cgi/nncp.git/commit/?h=develop&id=8cfca6f25358b2ce75abd2b410e28e5b5008413b
> it is because "sendmail" configuration field is not set for the node.
> No it will skip this packet with warning message about unconfigured
> sendmail.

OK, noted. That means we need this to be explained in the documentation,
which thankfully is something I can help out with. I plan to submit a
patch fixing as many grammar, spelling, and other minor errors that I
can find in the texinfo file as time allows (hopefully next couple of
days, but certainly by the end of January).

It would make more sense to me, BTW, to allow defaults for all nodes for
the incoming, freq, and sendmail options, with pattern matching
substitution for node names (for incoming I would still find separating
by sending node useful as opposed to lumping it all in one place).
Perhaps by allowing a configuration section "default:" similar to the
current "self:"? I can think of more cases where I'd want all nodes to
be able to send files to me and freq files from me than I would where
I'd want only some.

Also, is it necessarily a design goal of the project for everything to
be written in Go? I am considering writing a GUI front-end but I am
completely new to Go and I am reading that desktop GUI apps are so far
not a common use case for Go.

--

@ 2017-01-15 10:45     ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2017-01-15 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)