* Update on some NNCP things
@ 2022-02-15 23:15 John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2022-02-15 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

Hi folks,

I thought I'd update you all on some NNCP stuff I've been working on.

- I've reworked my public website, and am working to move some content
  off Github.  I have a new NNCP section at
  https://www.complete.org/nncp/ that links heavily to a number of other
  sources.

- My NNCP docker image has been updated to the latest release.

- The quux public relay is now reachable over Yggdrasil using the new
  integrated node code.  Address details at
  https://www.complete.org/quux-org-nncp-public-relay/ .  A reminder it
  remains available as a Tor hidden service as well.

- I have uploaded yggdrasil to Debian, and it is working its way through
  the Debian review process.  Once accepted, I will be uploading a newer
  NNCP as well.

John

* Re: Update on some NNCP things
@ 2022-02-16 15:55 ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2022-02-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

Greetings!

*** John Goerzen [2022-02-15 17:15]:
>https://www.complete.org/nncp/ that links heavily to a number of other
>sources.

Cool! Added that link to the NNCP's index website page.

>- The quux public relay is now reachable over Yggdrasil using the new
>integrated node code.

I can successfully connect it via Yggdrasil. I fetched README.txt, but
my freq for nodelist.zip still did not send me anything.

--
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Update on some NNCP things
@ 2022-02-16 16:08   ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2022-02-16 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Matveev; +Cc: nncp-devel

On Wed, Feb 16 2022, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> Greetings!

Hi Sergey!

> *** John Goerzen [2022-02-15 17:15]:
>>https://www.complete.org/nncp/ that links heavily to a number of other
>>sources.
>
> Cool! Added that link to the NNCP's index website page.
>
>>- The quux public relay is now reachable over Yggdrasil using the new
>>integrated node code.
>
> I can successfully connect it via Yggdrasil. I fetched README.txt, but
> my freq for nodelist.zip still did not send me anything.

There's no nodelist.zip, but there is a nodelist.tar.gz.  Can you let me
know where you saw a reference to nodelist.zip so I can correct it?

Thanks!

@ 2022-02-16 16:14     ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2022-02-16 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

*** John Goerzen [2022-02-16 10:08]:
>There's no nodelist.zip, but there is a nodelist.tar.gz.  Can you let me
>know where you saw a reference to nodelist.zip so I can correct it?

Both in older (2021-08-02) and current latest README.txt.
Fetched nodelist.tar.gz successfully now.

--

@ 2022-02-16 16:16       ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2022-02-16 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

*** Sergey Matveev [2022-02-16 19:14]:
>Both in older (2021-08-02) and current latest README.txt.

Oops, sorry. It was still reading the old README version. My bad.

--

@ 2022-02-16 18:09   ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2022-02-16 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Matveev; +Cc: nncp-devel

On Wed, Feb 16 2022, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> I can successfully connect it via Yggdrasil.

Speaking of this - I mentioned to them on their Matrix channel about how
you've integrated Yggdrasil into NNCP.  Neil was particularly interested
in inet.af/netstack.  He had previously written yggmail using uTP as you
probably knew.  He's currently working on a brach of yggdrasil that will
have an option to act as a SOCKS5 proxy -- or forward incoming
connections to local ports -- for those that can't set up a tun
interface for whatever reason, but don't embed yggdrasil in their
codebase (eg, Docker containers).  He's using netstack for this.

Thank you for what you did with Yggdrasil.  It is really neat to see
these two projects get ideas from each other like this.

@ 2022-02-16 18:27     ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2022-02-16 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

*** John Goerzen [2022-02-16 12:09]:
>have an option to act as a SOCKS5 proxy -- or forward incoming
>connections to local ports -- for those that can't set up a tun
>interface for whatever reason

That would be interesting and useful indeed, because that can run in
user-space without any additional privileges. Two days ago I thought
about adding similar kind of Yggdrasil support to my godlighty
web-server (http://www.godlighty.stargrave.org/).

--

@ 2022-02-17  8:26     ` Jonathan Lane
From: Jonathan Lane @ 2022-02-17  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 12:09:22PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> Speaking of this - I mentioned to them on their Matrix channel about how
> you've integrated Yggdrasil into NNCP.  Neil was particularly interested
> in inet.af/netstack.  He had previously written yggmail using uTP as you
> probably knew.  He's currently working on a brach of yggdrasil that will
> have an option to act as a SOCKS5 proxy -- or forward incoming
> connections to local ports -- for those that can't set up a tun
> interface for whatever reason, but don't embed yggdrasil in their
> codebase (eg, Docker containers).  He's using netstack for this.

Now that's cool!  Running it as an open SOCKS5 proxy simplifies a lot of
usecases for connecting containers to a private network without needing
to change host networking.

--
tidux@sdf•org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org