From: Sergey Matveev <stargrave@stargrave•org>
To: Emery Hemingway <ehmry@posteo•net>
Cc: nncp-devel@lists.cypherpunks.ru
Subject: Re: NNCP and NixOS
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:41:45 +0300	[thread overview]

Greetings!

*** Emery Hemingway [2021-12-18 14:36]:
>I have managed to split this by converting Nix and HJSON to plain JSON
>and merging with the jq utility[2], but this feels a bit fragile. It
>would be nice to iterate over a few JSON formatted files and convert
>them to a configuration directory, but nncp-cfgdir does not like configs
>without "self" sections.

I will check that further, but of course nncp-cfgdir should respect
possibility of "self" missing, like nncp-cfgmin natively does. I will
fix that possibly on holidays.

I agree that juggling with JSON/Hjson is not convenient and fragile way,
that is why I wrote cfgdir-feature, but honestly personally use Hjson
everywhere. But I believe it should be the most convenient way to deal
with configuration non-manually.

>Also, what are best practices for daemon permissions? I
>have been using a dedicated "nncp" user and group.

Personally I do not have any recommendations -- do as you wish, as you
are comfortable with. As I can see, people use NNCP pretty differently
everywhere. On most systems I run nncp utilities from "stargrave" user I
am working under. On some I created separate nncp-group and placed some
users under it: http://www.nncpgo.org/Administration.html#Shared-spool

--
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)