* Areas interaction causes nncp-toss to always exit with error
@ 2021-09-24 17:25 John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2021-09-24 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

Hi,

When using areas, I'm seeing something odd from nncp-toss.  It sometimes runs
and always exits with an error.  -progress won't show anything, but -debug
does:

See below.

JGCHEG... is the local node.  It'll do the same thing, over and over.

If I rm the F2SYU.. and R2RCYM... packets, then all is fine.

I've seen this happen on two different machines now, with the same symptom -
including the "already sent".  The node alexandria is, on the effected
machines, the only one in the subs list.  (subs on alexandria itself is
longer; it does the distribution.)  It seems to somehow not be able to process
that it's done with a packet and remove it... but only sometimes.

Output below.  This exists on 7.7.0 as well.

Thanks,

John

nncp-toss -debug

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.042517609Z
Debug: true
Who: job
XX: tx
Node: JGCHEG...
Name: F2SYUAB7ZWERF26Z6XWNDFOTZ2HUAHUP3XIU76DHA5JW4OBUH7YQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2645
Msg: Job JGCHEG.../tx/F2SYUAB7ZWERF26Z6XWNDFOTZ2HUAHUP3XIU76DHA5JW4OBUH7YQ
nice: P size: 2.6 KiB

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.042805913Z
Debug: true
Who: job
XX: tx
Node: JGCHEG...
Name: R2RCYMTJVRQONI2PLNS3FJ7ELTY4S47ZNDLEFT27QCYYHLM3PYBQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2544
Msg: Job JGCHEG.../tx/R2RCYMTJVRQONI2PLNS3FJ7ELTY4S47ZNDLEFT27QCYYHLM3PYBQ
nice: P size: 2.5 KiB

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.044474556Z
Debug: true
Who: rx
Node: JGCHEG...
Pkt: F2SYUAB7ZWERF26Z6XWNDFOTZ2HUAHUP3XIU76DHA5JW4OBUH7YQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2157
Msg: Tossing self/F2SYUAB7ZWERF26Z6XWNDFOTZ2HUAHUP3XIU76DHA5JW4OBUH7YQ (2.1
KiB)

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.04469246Z
Debug: true
Who: rx-area
Node: JGCHEG...
Pkt: F2SYUAB7ZWERF26Z6XWNDFOTZ2HUAHUP3XIU76DHA5JW4OBUH7YQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2157
Type: area
Area: RVFWL...
AreaMsg: L3NQRYHGBDQLJPKRI5P7E2BQUJLFCIOTBGBWTXD5HGEEFGL7SEGA
Msg: Tossing self/F2SYUAB7ZWERF26Z6XWNDFOTZ2HUAHUP3XIU76DHA5JW4OBUH7YQ (2.1
KiB): area localgit

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.04483773Z
Debug: true
Who: rx-area-echo-seen
Node: JGCHEG...
Pkt: F2SYUAB7ZWERF26Z6XWNDFOTZ2HUAHUP3XIU76DHA5JW4OBUH7YQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2157
Type: area
Area: RVFWL...
AreaMsg: L3NQRYHGBDQLJPKRI5P7E2BQUJLFCIOTBGBWTXD5HGEEFGL7SEGA
Echo: L3WOIONS7NFQN53SIDHT3VMJ7HELW3WLBRYTO7MEAH4OMC36JLHQ
Msg: Tossing self/F2SYUAB7ZWERF26Z6XWNDFOTZ2HUAHUP3XIU76DHA5JW4OBUH7YQ (2.1
KiB): area localgit: echo to: alexandria: already sent

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.046258297Z
Debug: true
Who: rx
Node: JGCHEG...
Pkt: F2SYUAB7ZWERF26Z6XWNDFOTZ2HUAHUP3XIU76DHA5JW4OBUH7YQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2157
Type: area
Area: RVFWL...
AreaMsg: L3NQRYHGBDQLJPKRI5P7E2BQUJLFCIOTBGBWTXD5HGEEFGL7SEGA
Size: 1669
Msg: Tossing
localgit/area/RVFWL.../L3NQRYHGBDQLJPKRI5P7E2BQUJLFCIOTBGBWTXD5HGEEFGL7SEGA
(1.6 KiB)

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.047521024Z
Debug: true
Who: rx
Node: JGCHEG...
Pkt: R2RCYMTJVRQONI2PLNS3FJ7ELTY4S47ZNDLEFT27QCYYHLM3PYBQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2056
Msg: Tossing self/R2RCYMTJVRQONI2PLNS3FJ7ELTY4S47ZNDLEFT27QCYYHLM3PYBQ (2.0
KiB)

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.047586954Z
Debug: true
Who: rx-area
Node: JGCHEG...
Pkt: R2RCYMTJVRQONI2PLNS3FJ7ELTY4S47ZNDLEFT27QCYYHLM3PYBQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2056
Type: area
Area: RVFWL...
AreaMsg: 7DITYNACMUIQTZ6MZ7HDCUFBYFUKWXJ4MW3COQSPUMSUMVYVAVMA
Msg: Tossing self/R2RCYMTJVRQONI2PLNS3FJ7ELTY4S47ZNDLEFT27QCYYHLM3PYBQ (2.0
KiB): area localgit

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.047604274Z
Debug: true
Who: rx-area-echo-seen
Node: JGCHEG...
Pkt: R2RCYMTJVRQONI2PLNS3FJ7ELTY4S47ZNDLEFT27QCYYHLM3PYBQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2056
Type: area
Area: RVFWL...
AreaMsg: 7DITYNACMUIQTZ6MZ7HDCUFBYFUKWXJ4MW3COQSPUMSUMVYVAVMA
Echo: L3WOIONS7NFQN53SIDHT3VMJ7HELW3WLBRYTO7MEAH4OMC36JLHQ
Msg: Tossing self/R2RCYMTJVRQONI2PLNS3FJ7ELTY4S47ZNDLEFT27QCYYHLM3PYBQ (2.0
KiB): area localgit: echo to: alexandria: already sent

When: 2021-09-09T02:20:30.047975829Z
Debug: true
Who: rx
Node: JGCHEG...
Pkt: R2RCYMTJVRQONI2PLNS3FJ7ELTY4S47ZNDLEFT27QCYYHLM3PYBQ
Nice: 96
Size: 2056
Type: area
Area: RVFWL...
AreaMsg: 7DITYNACMUIQTZ6MZ7HDCUFBYFUKWXJ4MW3COQSPUMSUMVYVAVMA
Size: 1568
Msg: Tossing
localgit/area/RVFWL.../7DITYNACMUIQTZ6MZ7HDCUFBYFUKWXJ4MW3COQSPUMSUMVYVAVMA
(1.5 KiB)

* Re: Areas interaction causes nncp-toss to always exit with error
@ 2021-09-26 18:49 ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2021-09-26 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

Greetings!

*** John Goerzen [2021-09-24 12:25]:
>When using areas, I'm seeing something odd from nncp-toss.  It sometimes runs
>and always exits with an error.

According to log, it fails somewhere during tossing procedure. And its
error is invisible. I will add more debugging and check that no error
value is missed. Currently can not say/predict anything more :-(

--
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Areas interaction causes nncp-toss to always exit with error
@ 2021-09-28 16:43   ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2021-09-28 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Matveev; +Cc: nncp-devel

On Sun, Sep 26 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> *** John Goerzen [2021-09-24 12:25]:
>>When using areas, I'm seeing something odd from nncp-toss.  It
>>sometimes runs
>>and always exits with an error.
>
> According to log, it fails somewhere during tossing procedure.
> And its
> error is invisible. I will add more debugging and check that no
> error
> value is missed. Currently can not say/predict anything more :-(

Thank you!  If you have a patch you'd like me to test and see what
turns up, I'd be happy to.

- John

* Re: Areas interaction causes nncp-toss to always exit with error
@ 2021-10-30 15:15 ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2021-10-30 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Goerzen; +Cc: nncp-devel

Hi Sergey,

So I'm doing some more tracking down on this issue with nncp-toss
existing with an error and never advancing certain packets on to their
destination.  Reading through the docs and looking at things, here's
what I see.  First, the debug output:

When: 2021-10-30T14:44:28.314507042Z
Debug: true
Who: rx-area-echo-seen
Node: JGCHEG...
Pkt: DCLGLYKIJNHKMAWO4CBUEXRB2PEFXMHUR2WMVDRAC5O4TY3NQUXA
Nice: 96
Size: 2107
Type: area
Area: RVF...
AreaMsg: 6MBM3SG6LI7V5DMXOXCYP2WAHR66LTSEPWYTDVXNYE43TQ5WUF6Q
Echo: L3W...
Msg: Tossing self/DCLGLYKIJNHKMAWO4CBUEXRB2PEFXMHUR2WMVDRAC5O4TY3NQUXA (2.1 KiB): area localgit: echo to: alexandria: already sent

There is this file:

./JGCHEG.../tx/DCLGLYKIJNHKMAWO4CBUEXRB2PEFXMHUR2WMVDRAC5O4TY3NQUXA

JGCHEG... is self.

There is also:

./L3W.../area/RVF.../6MBM3SG6LI7V5DMXOXCYP2WAHR66LTSEPWYTDVXNYE43TQ5WUF6Q

L3W... is the destination alexandria that it says it's already been sent
to.  This is the one and only destination listed in the local
configuration for this area (that destination is a fan-out relay of
sorts that then distributes it to many other nodes).

There is NOT any hash for this item in self/area/AREA/MsgHash.  So
somehow it knows that it has sent it, but doesn't know that it has
processed it, and is never deleting it in the end.

So looking at toss.go, it is "already sent" but NOT "already seen".
Interesting.

In toss.go, I notice that if the rx-area-echo-seen is logged -- which it
is here (that's what logs the "already sent"), it runs "continue"
instead of "return JobRepeatProcess" which is what it would have done
had it created the "already sent" seenPath just now.  I don't know what
implication that has.

I can't figure out why the main "already seen" file in
self/area/AREA/MsgHash is never being created.  It could be that jobPath
== "", or that there was some other error above, but no other error is
ever logged.

Any ideas?

John

@ 2021-10-31 14:01   ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2021-10-31 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel

Greetings!

*** John Goerzen [2021-10-30 10:15]:
>So I'm doing some more tracking down on this issue with nncp-toss
>existing with an error and never advancing certain packets on to their
>destination.

Accidentally I repeated the same behaviour on one of my computers.
"already seen" log message, then "tossing" message and then bad exit
code without exact errors. I send area packet with nncp-file ... area:...,
then remembered that NNCP is not the latest version on that computer,
upgraded it and run nncp-toss, catching that bad behaviour. nncp-file
used an old code with ".seen" packets, but new one does not use ".seen"
extension anymore. So nncp-toss did not see self-seen packet, that will
forcefully remove the packet from self directory after it was sent to
all "subs".

When you run nncp-toss, it has the following code:

-----# 1 [                              src/cmd/nncp-toss/main.go ]-----
 115 			if nodeId == *ctx.SelfId {
 116 				isBad = ctx.Toss(
 117 					node.Id,
 118 					nncp.TTx,
 119 					nice,
 120 					*dryRun, false, true, true, true, true, *noArea,
 121 				) || isBad
 122 			}
---------------------------------- >8 ----------------------------------

calling toss with noFile argument set to true (sigh, I already should
create TossOption struct to pass those arguments more human readably).
Because there is no seen-file, it tries to process the packet as it was
sent from outside. But because noFile is set, it quietly returns no
error:

-----# 2 [                                            src/toss.go ]-----
 242 	case PktTypeFile:
 243 		if noFile {
 244 			return nil
 245 		}
---------------------------------- >8 ----------------------------------

but PktEncRead code below does not expect that pipe won't be filled with
anything, so actually there is error "io: read/write on closed pipe",
that is logged with LogE I added now. Previously it was "unseen".

-----# 3 [                                            src/toss.go ]-----
 684 	case PktTypeArea:
 812 		if area.Prv == nil {
 817 		} else {
 868 			_, _, _, err = PktEncRead(
 869 				&areaNodeOur,
 870 				ctx.Neigh,
 871 				fullPipeR,
 872 				pipeW,
 873 				signatureVerify,
 874 				nil,
 875 			)
 876 			if err != nil {
 877 				ctx.LogE("rx-area-pkt-enc-read2", les, err, logMsg)
 878 				pipeW.CloseWithError(err)
 879 				<-errs
 880 				return err
 881 			}
---------------------------------- >8 ----------------------------------

seen-packet is created when nncp-file/whatever creates outgoing area
packet. In my case it faulted because of different NNCP version.
Probably something similar on your side?

I have completely not looked at NNCP for a long time, sorry. And still
have not enough time to dive in all that error-related issues.

--

@ 2021-10-31 22:46     ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2021-10-31 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Matveev; +Cc: nncp-devel

On Sun, Oct 31 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> seen-packet is created when nncp-file/whatever creates outgoing area
> packet. In my case it faulted because of different NNCP version.
> Probably something similar on your side?

Thank you Sergey!  In my case, all three workstations that could
generate packets are on 7.7.0.  The host alexandria, which relays
between them, is on 7.6.0, but alexandria never originates area packets
itself, and lacks the private keys to it.  alexandria is also the only
"subs" entry for the workstations.

Would that 7.6.0/7.7.0 difference be enough to account for this?

> I have completely not looked at NNCP for a long time, sorry. And still
> have not enough time to dive in all that error-related issues.

Completely understood!  That is how Free Software works.

You are very much tempting me to either learn Go or attempt to write a
compatible implementation in Rust.  Hmmm.... Since I also don't have a
lot of free time, learning Go will probably be what happens :-)

John

* Re: Areas interaction causes nncp-toss to always exit with error
@ 2021-11-01 11:55       ` Sergey Matveev
From: Sergey Matveev @ 2021-11-01 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nncp-devel