From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete•org>
To: Sergey Matveev <stargrave@stargrave•org>
Cc: nncp-devel@lists.cypherpunks.ru
Subject: Re: NNCP in Debian/Ubuntu Update
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:10:41 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, Sep 20 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> *** John Goerzen [2021-09-20 08:05]:
>>At long last, NNCP has been accepted into Debian unstable.
>
> Wonderful! Thank you!
>
> Just for the interest I looked at
> https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/nncp.git
> I have never dealt with Debian packages (well, 15+ years ago
> played only
> with the one), so just my misunderstanding, but it seems that
> NNCP is
> not built from the tarball? I see some dependencies on external
> Go-related packages and documentation building in debian/rules
> file. I
> remind that NNCP's tarballs contain all Go dependencies, that
> are
> statically linked in anyway. And they contain both Info and HTML
> documentation.

Yes.  Actually this is the reason it took me so long to get it in
Debian; I had to learn about Go building and stuff.

So Debian has a very long-standing policy, going back decades, of
not building dependencies from in-tree.  Even back in the C days,
a lot of packages would require other libraries and include them
in their tarballs.  That caused a number of problems at the
distribution scale.  For instance, if there's a new OpenSSL vuln
and various packages build from OpenSSL in-tarball, now instead of
patching one thing, you first have to figure out where all it's
embedded (a challenge itself) and then patch and rebuild all of
those.  The same goes for bugs in OpenSSL, etc.  It's not
particularly sustainable.

There is also another long-standing policy that every Debian
package must be buildable using only what is in Debian, and
without network access.  This is enforced at the CI level.  The
rationale for this includes several aspects: 1) A build that
downloads things from the Internet can break if those things go
away; 2) it makes it easier to inject malware into the system; 3)
it makes it harder to audit for license compliance; 4) it can lead
to unintentional violations of the Debian Free Software Guidelines
(if sources are downloaded but not distributed, this can also be a
GPL violation).  So the Go and Rust ecosystems (plus others like
Python) don't use the go/cargo/pip build mechanism to just
download stuff off the Internet; they require that the
dependencies already exist in Debian, and build using only those.

I did initially try to just use the tarball, but that was
(somewhat predictably) rejected for these reasons.  So, I made
separate packages for all the things that weren't already in
Debian (blake3, balloon, etc) and got those into the archive.
Then NNCP could go in.
https://go-team.pages.debian.net/packaging.html talks about this.

The tarball is absolutely the right thing for users.  I like what
you've done there.  It just wasn't the most suitable for a
distribution (or, shall we say, a distribution with Debian's
policies).

There is automated tooling to bring go stuff into Debian, since
this is far from the only such case.  It is centered around the go
convention of using git.  It mostly worked, here.  I had to patch
up a few things but generally it worked well.  In fact, I do have
a 7.7.0 release prepared -- the upgrade was one command -- which I
will upload probably tomorrow once all of its dependencies have
hit the mirrors.

The uilive thing is a bit of an odd one; it was still in-tree in
the git repo and it survived review so I guess it works for now
:-)

I also had to do a bit of hacking around the source tree; I don't
quite understand it, but there was something relating to nncp/v7
that the automated tooling didn't quite deal well with (you can
see this in the debian/rules file).

So anyway, the long and short of it is, it is done, in the Debian
way, and is working and will move ahead!

- John