From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete•org>
To: Sergey Matveev <stargrave@stargrave•org>
Cc: nncp-devel@lists.cypherpunks.ru
Subject: Re: [EN] NNCP 8.2.0 release announcement
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 15:45:46 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi Sergey!

This is very cool!  I'll be working to try this out as soon as I can.

One concern I have right now is about the new dependency on gvisor.  Of
course you're not using it as the environment it was built for, but
nonetheless it is a pretty huge piece of software with quite a few
dependencies.  And according to the FAQ [1] , it is only supported on
Linux on x86_64 (with "preliminary" support for arm64).

To try it out, I thought I'd build NNCP 8.2.0 on my Raspberry Pi: Linux,
but 32-bit.  Didn't work:

PREFIX=/usr/local/nncp contrib/do all
do: Incremental mode. Use -c for clean rebuild.
do  all
do    bin/all
do      bin/hjson-cli
do      bin/nncp-bundle
# gvisor.dev/gvisor/pkg/tcpip/transport/tcp
vendor/gvisor.dev/gvisor/pkg/tcpip/transport/tcp/snd.go:326:16: constant 9223372036854775807 overflows int

That doesn't bode well..  It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are
other issues that would keep it from working on 32-bit platforms, or
non-Linux ones.

I don't know if there are other TCP implementations for Go that are
usable.

I'm sorry for asking for something that went in this direction - I
didn't quite realize what I was asking for, I guess. I'd much rather
have a uTP/TCP mismatch than sacrifice platform support in NNCP for
sure.  I use ARM32 quite a bit around here, and actively with NNCP.

I do have NNCP 8.2.0 compiling on NetBSD, but whether it will work
correctly, or keep working over time given the gvisor FAQ, is another
question I guess (I don't have the environment to try that part yet).

[1] https://gvisor.dev/docs/user_guide/faq/

John