From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete•org>
To: Sergey Matveev <stargrave@stargrave•org>
Cc: nncp-devel@lists.cypherpunks.ru
Subject: Re: Setup on unprivileged accounts
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 23:23:24 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, Aug 04 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

>>4) Perhaps a variant on #3, I could have a regular-permissioned
>>spool
>>directory and then nncp-xfer into a separate tree with
>>directories owned as
>>appropriate with sticky bits set.  Peers would have a similar
>>nncp-xfer to
>>pull stuff out of there.
>
> Only here I understand that you want to share packets between
> the user
> accounts on the same system? nncp-xfer is what comes in my mind
> first
> here: one shared/accessible directory. And spools in home
> directories.
> And much more efficient transmission comparing to online
> (-daemon,
> -call*) tools. Actually files from the spool technically can be
> even
> hardlinked, without any copying at all, in theory (current code
> just
> copies data).

Yes, that is what I meant, and I did completely forget to explain
what I was trying to do.  Sigh, my mistake.  Yes, I think
nncp-xfer will be quite suitable here.

I will try to finish setting it up on SDF and then I need to find
a place to stick all my NNCP docs and things too.  Hopefully by
the weekend I'll have something to share.

- John