From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete•org>
To: nncp-devel@lists.cypherpunks.ru
Subject: Avoiding double writes
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 12:47:54 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi,

Awhile back, we were discussing the temporary files that were
needed for reading stdin for nncp-exec or nncp-file.  I believe
the reason for this is that the header contains a signature of the
data that follows, and it's not practical to seek back and write
that later.

That raises a question... since the signature can't be verified
without reading the entirety of the data anyhow, why not put the
signature after the data instead of before it?

To do that, there needs to be some way of recognizing the end of
the data.  I'm not sure how that happens now, since we also don't
know the size in advance in those cases.  Is there some sort of
blocking for data chunks?

If time permits, I may see about adding this feature if there's a
design path that would be suitable.

- John